What do you think about when you hear those words?
I almost guarantee you, the average person in our society thinks negatively about fat. On the contrary, fat is quite important to you, AND it can dramatically affect weight loss (specifically fat loss) results.
Watch me keep this post super short, but super informative!
What is fat?
- Efficient energy storage (9kcal/g of energy in fat vs 4kcal/g in carbohydrates or protein)
- Transported through the blood as fatty acids (3x Carbon-Hydrogen chains attached to 1x glycerol)
- Essential to the human diet in the form of Omega-3s and Omega-6s
- Needed for fat-soluble digestion of Vitamins A, D, E, K
Types of Fat (based on structure and chemical response within the body)
- Saturated (No double bonds in C-H chain, solid at room temperature; i.e. butter)
- Unsaturated (At least 1 double bond in C-H chain, liquid at room temperature; i.e. oil)
- Trans (Double bond gets hydrogenated and shaped like a saturated fat, solid at room temperature; i.e. Crisco) - Just stay away from these (you can tell if it is in the ingredients if it says anything related to 'partially hydrogenated ______ oil'
All good so far - mandatory science out of the way. How do we strategically use fat in our diet?This is why we talked about Insulin previously. Say you are trying to keep your body in a 'fat burning zone' and want to make sure you aren't stimulating your insulin response, thus maintaining your fat burning rather than fat storing systems. Well, what else would you eat to stave off hunger and get the job done? I hope you don't say "Well, I just wouldn't eat."
You've got it! FAT (and protein)!
On top of low glycemic veggies, fat and protein are your best friends when trimming fat off of your body.
This saying goes a long way in the fat burning world (because there is one?):
"In the presence of protein, your body will opt for fat as an energy source"
-This is the case because your body prefers to use fat over protein for energy.
-So make sure you are getting your protein, and maintain a relatively low insulin response to get your body to do the fat loss work for you.
No need to continue from here, but I am going to go into some of my favorite fats because it makes me happy AND they are a huge part of my diet (and therefore life).
- The almighty Avocado (fun fact: Avvocato in Italian is 'lawyer').
-I eat probably a whole avocado every day. True happiness right there.
- Bacon and red meats.
-Relatively fatty (saturated), but do not be afraid of these fats as they can still be used in your diet strategically
-THE ENTIRE EGG TOO. Cholesterol talk to come soon - let's just say that there is a lot of bad information out there. My cholesterol levels are great btw.
- Nuts, nuts, nuts - especially the expensive ones! Mmmm cashews
PLEASE don't hesitate to click on the title of this post and comment your faves!